Write Me!

Elder Seth Haynes
Kenya Nairobi Mission
Upper Hill Road
Next To Citigroup
PO Box 46162-00100
Nairobi, Kenya

Friday, September 23, 2011

I Love the USA

Hello family, thanks for the package! I might get it in the next month. I also sent you a package on the 5th with a few things and my sd card with over 500 pictures so i am really praying it arrives safely. So i first will answer questions so i dont forget. Matt, we are currently teaching 10 investigators that are progressing. 3 are getting baptized on the 24th and 7 have committed to baptism and are very excited. There is a problem with 3 of them getting to church though cause they live so far. Nichorus, Nielson, and Steven. They are very poor young men who live on the furthest part of our area. If they were to walk they would have to start at midnight to get there by ten to start church. We are really praying that god will provide a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he comandeth them. The others are doing well another young man named samuel and two sisters patricia and carol. Patricia was a referral from a sister in the ward that is amazing. She was invited over and we taught her the first lesson. She told us she was a muslim and a year ago she became christian. She attends a reformed christian church. She seemed kinda wierded out by the restoration at first but then started to understand. she committed to read the book of mormon and ask if it and what we were teaching her is true. I felt prompted to invite her to give the closing prayer and asked her to ask right now. She accepted. I have never heard a better worded or sincere prayer. The spirit hit her so hard she could hardly finish the prayer. We sat in silence watching her cry and watching the spirit teach. She said she had never felt like this before. Wow hey did i mention the church is true. Porter my mission is so awesome and i am loving every minute of it. The ice cold shower every morning is the only bad thing. But yes i do think about you buddy. You and owen constantly bring a smile to my face throughout the day. Bronzen, i havent met that sister yet cause she lives in Nairobi, but i asked sister broadbent and she said she knows her and she will be home this month some time. Dude how is football? You have a family name to up hold so you better hit hard and go balls out every play. Body size doesnt matter in football. The coaches look are hard work and heart. Bronz you out hustle everyone! Lift, lift, lift. That is all.(send pictures please via email or mail) Matt, i have not heard about any sacrifice challenge but i know they have study goals each transfer. Meree, I would love my ipod with tons of uplifting stuff. Tab choir, conference talks, the bible etc. Oh phase ten :) i miss that game. Any treats really cause you cant find american products here. OH OH OH cereal. I didnt think i would miss anything, but cereal is sorely missed. They have it  here but it is bad quality stuff and is super expensive. Meree, i havent heard anything about general conference but im sure we get to watch it. Matt, I dont have to wear shower sandals cause the first thing i did was detail my bathroom and shower but other guys do. My toilet is broken like half the stuff in my flat. That is what they call apartments btw. So i had to fix it and jimmy rig it to be able to flush. I woke up today and cleaned for like 5 hours solid. My comp is one dirty african. I made him clean his bathroom today! You remember the tv show hoarders, yeah its like one of their bathrooms. Our tap water in the flat is salt water so we cant drink it. Brushing my teeth is kinda nasty. I am teaching my comp to be cleaner. Cause we have nasty bugs in our flat. I jixed (chlorox) the whole place today. My comp really stinks and i found out why. He buys anti-perspirant with out deodorant. Dont worry, tu nagi funza! (He is learning). Meree thanks for teaching me the importance of cleanliness! The hadley way isnt the only way but its pretty damn good! Heck my comp didnt have dish soap when i got there and washing a bowl that had raw meat juice with cold water and his hands. Crazy! He thinks im a clean freak. Matt, im getting used to the sweat. I carry a hankercheif and use it like crazy. I have not eatin anything besides rice, beans, chapatis, and beef. Every DA we have is the same food. Oh and ugali. Which is a cake made out of maze meal and water(seriously just those two ingredients). Kinda like grits but thicker. Like no joke you can make a boucey ball out of it. Pretty bland. My taste buds are adapting though. As far as recipes go, we are able to get most everything, just not as good. Cheese is the so expensive which is really sad. It is ten us dollars for a block. So we just go to the same place and fill up on cheese every time we shop. Last p day after we emailed we went and played soccer on the beach. Sadly that is the only sport i will be playing for the next two years. But it was fun. Our zone leader is a white guy from SA and was playing dirty and it was making me mad. He was also bragging about how tough he was cause he was training with the army before he came out. So the ball came to me and we were kinda going back and forth with it and he decides it would be a good idea to hit me in the groin. Big mistake! I bull rushed him and slammed him on the sand and pinned him in 3 seconds. I would have broken my high schools fastest pin record. I wouldnt let him up until he apologized. I bent his glasses pretty bad but all the elders say man dont mess with haynes. I kinda felt bad after mostly cause i had massive stomach ache, but he deserved it. He played fair the rest of the time.Oh so we had DDM on wednesday and the senior couple was there. Hmmm... just guess where they are from... Taylor. Brother and sister scott. They know Sheila so well and talked a lot about mark. They are actually cooking for us this week. Finally american food. Oh so i told you we take a ferry to the mainland everday, so there is this preacher on there shouting everyday. And the other day he sees me and says Hey muzungu! Welcome to kenya. Over 1000 people on the boat and there eyes go directly to me. Like i said i turn some heads. This man is full of it. One of the members friends has a problem and asked him to pray for her. He said if she sacrificed 3000 shillings(which is a ton of money for these people) to him he would pray on her behalf. but she also had to fast three days and he promised god would answer her question. People pay this guy and it makes me mad! Tell the ward thanks for the support and tell our siblings to email me! OH tell tish the watch has been a so nice  to have! And Oh My Gosh!!! Dont even talk about panda! Talk about major craving for the past month. And wasting it is oh so sad! Have you been to the wash lately? Tell ryan to email me and tell me whats new there! Oddly i miss the wash. After working there for 3 1/2 years it kinda becomes part of you. Please send me pictures! i would love to see what you guys are up to. We go every thursday to an orphan home and do service. We also travel out to this guy from northing utahs home. He owns a coconut oil company here and his house is insane!!! He makes some cheese! The investigators that live very far are this guys employees.Anyways i dont have much more to report. I love you all and i am loving every minute of this priceless experience. Love Elder Haynes

ps please let me know as soon as you get that package!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment